Skip to content
- Build fires downwind and well away from a flammable shelter.
- Maintain at least a three-foot clear area, free of leaves, dry grass, pine needles, etc., around the fire.
- Store extra firewood / tinder at least 6 feet away from the burning fire.
- Store flammable liquids outside and well away from your shelter.
- Build fires away from overhanging branches, steep slopes, rotten stumps, logs, dry grass, and leaves.
- Never attempt to burn aerosol cans; heated cans will explode.
- Never leave fires unattended.